Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Rain waltz

 I went for a walk in the rain. Only it was more of a waltz. (I have this pep-skip thing in my walk from my cheerleading days.) Rainy days are special in Los Angeles because everyone freaks out and the streets become deserted and if you are outside skipping around with a Victorian looking pink umbrella, Paul Frank PJs, flip flops, and a Butterscotch See's lollipop- you may appropriately be labeled a nutcase. I tested my balance sprinting down the slippery sidewalk curbs mirroring Shawn Johnson on the balance beam, only 100 times less graceful. Eventually, I slipped and fell on my ass. That's why I never became a ballerina or gymnast or anything like that I suddenly remembered. That fucking grace factor.

Anywhoo, I only took my Huck Finn adventures 4 blocks away from my apartment. Still, I felt like a tested gangster. Some man with his 7 year old daughter in the passenger seat offered me a ride home about half way back. I said "No, thank you". He made a right turn up ahead and 2 minutes later this human is pulling up behind me again. Can't a girl take a fucking walk in the rain anymore? Why is that weird? People in general get so offended by any behavior at odds with their own. It's retarded.

"Sweetheart, let me give you a ride. You will get wet!"
"God forbid!"
"Just get in my car. I'm taking you home."
(Reaching in my purse for the mase attached to my keychain)
"Leave. Now."
After yelling some obscenity, he speeds off.

People are so weird like that to me. I guess I look young. I know I don't help the situation sporting pigtails and pastel colors and on average looking about 17 in the day time. Yeah, I ask for it... a little. But boy, do I see some true Olympic level Creepers. It is amaaazzzing....

NOW FOR COFFEE

6 comments:

  1. Olympic level Creepers...I love that word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do realise you misspelled Baudelaire, Nietzsche and Kierkegaard in your favourite books section. Exactly which books of theirs do you favour and why?

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank u for pointing out the errors, when i was typing i didn't spell check..wrote it all in 10 seconds..I love Kierkegaard's either/or, my favorite Baudelaire poem is "to the reader" and any and everything by Nietzsche is wonderful. Oscar Wilde is another big favorite. I'm really into existentialism and dark humor..

    ReplyDelete
  4. FYI, the doubble -a in Kierkegaard is pronounced more or less like an -o as in olympic. Most English speakers tend to pronounce his name with a long -a... *-)

    "I wish not for wealth and power..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I'm really into existentialism and dark humor.."

    Do look into Franz Kafka's Zürau Aphorisms. His great power as a gnostic thinker is best captured in them.

    And Schopenhauer must be on your reading list. The two volume unabridged Dover edition of The World as Will and Representation is all but a manual on thought and life, albeit a highly cynical one. But in this cynicism there is great beauty: "Each day is a little life: every waking and rising a little birth, every fresh morning a little youth, every going to rest and sleep a little death." And great humour: "Politeness is to human nature what warmth is to wax."

    ReplyDelete
  6. This entry reminded me of Singing in the Rain. :) On lookers thought Gene Kelly's character was crazy for being so happy & dancing in the rain, but he didn't care. Same as you :)

    And NO, you weren't asking for it. The guy was just looking to take advantage of the situation.

    ReplyDelete