Sunday, December 20, 2009

Cardboard Fuckers.

Putting your life into flimsy, boring FeD EX boxes is a really scary thing to do! One thing is certain- it will make you a less materialistic person- at the very least. As most of you already know, I am moving from L.A. to NYC on Wednesday so it's all very, very last minute, which anyway is the only way I know how to work................Still..................... it's weird.


Like I said on my Twitter-I hate planning to move anywhere. I like my moves abrupt- that's physical, mental- whatever.
Conscious of the fact we are now well into winter, I decided the first thing to go was 99% of all my- mostly Japanese inspired- bright, pastel teen clothes. Right away, that got rid of about 60% of my casual wear. Then I just start treating every article of clothing in my closet like an individual auditioning for American Idol. Destination Manhattan instead of Hollywood. NOTHING was making to cut to NY!! A lot of the potential "keepers" got humiliated and thrown across the room to hit the wall and drop into my Hello Kitty trash can. They were either too flimsy, too sheer, too pink, too 18-year-old, too L.A., too NY, too old, too trendy, too blasé..



I narrowed my necessities down to this short list:


1. "Sentimental's" (photographs, letters, cards, certificates of excellence/achievement)


2. All my writing journals and my laptop


3. My lacuna acoustic guitar


4. My philosophy book collection... with heavy respect to Kierkegaard (I collect all his works, journals, college essays, etc..)


5. My favorite old time children's books including first edition copies of 'Madeline', 'Babar' and 'Ferdinand the bull'


6. My grandmother's brass music box with the gold ballerina


7. My Elliott Smith vinyl's and rare concert proofs


8. My pink wraps, knee pads and boxing gloves


9. A few little knick knacks, shoes, heavy coats, and an minimum amount of clothes.




And I feel like I'm missing something.........Feel more than free to tell me what else I need for NY that I can't get there ;) Night!

5 comments:

  1. Are your clothes too blase or is it you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are on the right track. It is good to strip your life down to the essentials every once in a while. Lets you clear your mind and focus on what's really important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot your terrible towel. The Stillers are going to make the playoffs and go on a nice run, don't doubt that. I like NYC, but I don't think I could live in a city that cares so little about football, even though they have a decent team in the Giants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do the children's books include those small ones with the gold-leaf spine? They were squarish and I used to read them all the time...can't remember what they were called though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite is Ferdinand the Bull ;)

    ReplyDelete